Let’s continue with our series #BehindJulie, episode 2: meet Nicolas Marlier, co-founder and CTO at Julie Desk.
1. Hi Nicolas, can you tell us a bit more about your background?
I’ve always loved building things with my hands and with code since I was a child. Like Julien and Guillaume, I went to Polytechnique and founded the company just after that.
2. How did you become an entrepreneur?
I went to engineering school without a clear idea of what I wanted to become. There, I met alumni who founded their company, and I realized that this was what I was looking for, for two main reasons : the freedom and the high impact of your work day-by-day. And as Julien, Guillaume and I agreed on that, we decided to try something.
3. What’s your role at Julie Desk? Can you describe a typical day?
I’m the CTO, Chief Technology Officer, which means I’m the geekiest of the 3 founders ;). When we started, I was the one writing code all day long to build the product. Now, a typical day still includes coding, but also exploring new technologies, thinking about technical architecture, and making people work together.
4. Any advice for people willing to do what you do?
Don’t wait for opportunities or knowledge to come to you.
5. What is the main challenge you face (or have faced) while working at Julie Desk?
Talking with clients about technical subjects without knowing if I had the knowledge or not.
6. Where do you see Julie Desk in 5 years?
As a universal medium for people to use technologies naturally, without an interface. Right now, Julie Desk may be defined as a virtual scheduling assistant, but looking at the larger picture, we are building a natural language interface between people and software.
7. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Still trying to make the world nicer with technology.
8. Three words to describe you?
Straightforward, passionate, bon vivant.
9. Anything about you that people might not know and you’d like to share?
I’m going to be a dad soon 😉
10. What is the first thing you do in the morning? Any routine?
I drink an espresso.
11. Your favorite App?
Google apps. Definitively.
12. Favorite meal?
Hesitating between pizza and tartare.
13. Favorite quote?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein
14. Who inspires you the most?
People like Elon Musk, bringing science-fiction to present times.
15. Your best memory at Julie Desk?
Our first paying client 😉
Thanks Nicolas. Any reactions? Leave us a comment!
Sharing is caring >> #LifeAtJulie 😉